Thursday, August 12, 2010

Just Because You Can, Doesn't Mean You Should

What do Takeru Kobayashi and Timo Kaukomen have in common? Both are World Champions. Kobayashi eats hot dogs for a living. When he goes to work, his goal is to eat 70 hot dogs in 10 minutes. Can you say Pepto Bismol? Kaukomen’s job is to sit in a hot room for six minutes at a time. I mean, really hot. His occupation requires him to sit in a 230 degree room and see if he can outlast his opponent. In his last outing, his opponent died.

Why would people risk their good health to do such dumb ass events. Better yet, who are the dumb asses who put on these events or show up to cheer the competitors ? My dad taught me just because you can do something, like eat dirt, doesn't necessarily mean you should. Too bad he didn’t get this message out to more people. When I am King, the media won't be allowed to cover these morons. Lets see what happens when people can't get their 15 minutes of fame -- or 10 -- or 6.

1 comment:

  1. I was going to subscribe on the recommendation of the Purdue Science Student alone, but the title of this post trumps even that.

    My father never said it, but after 40 years of doing things "just because I could," I've found myself repeating this mantra under my breath countless times.

    If I were King, it would be posted in every courtroom as the first of my Ten Commandments!

    ReplyDelete