Thursday, August 19, 2010

Going To Church

When I was a kid, my mom and dad would take me to church about once a month, or whenever there was a holiday. I was bored to death.  I couldn't figure out why the minister always tried to make people feel so bad. All he talked about was sin, sin, and more sin.  Hell, I was only 10, how bad could I be.

I remember especially the hymns.  I really liked "Onward Christian Soldiers".  When you're a kid, talk of marching off to war sounded pretty cool.  What I dislike were the two old biddys behind me having an  I can sing louder than you contest.  I figured God gave special attention to really loud people.

I also noticed that some really bad people attended church regularly.  It was like Monday through Saturday really didn't count as long as you put something in the collection plate on Sunday - or sang extra loud.  When I got old enough to make my own decisions, I decided I would skip the Sunday part and try to be moral person at least Monday through Saturday.  Sunday I play golf.

10 comments:

  1. When I skipped church I saw Abbott and Costello movies on TV.

    http://laughinginpurgatory.blogspot.com/2010/08/ground-zero-mosque.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - I found your blog through Jen. I like talking about politics and religion and social wrongs and whatever else too (except sports not so much) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sarah for stopping by. You'll probably like my newest post about Rush Limbaugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first thing that came to mind reading the comments on singing loudly and bad people in church was the senior devil's advice to his subordinate in C.S. Lewis's The Screwtape Letters. Appears you had exactly the experience intended.

    Note: This isn't intended as a comment one way or another on religion, I was just struck by the strong parallel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am trying to teach my girls not to fear God, but to be positive contributors to society. I hope that they will grow up to be as self-confident, witty, and independently thoughtful as Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. welcome on the blogosphere :)

    (http://www.blaghag.com/2010/08/ive-made-horrible-mistake.html)

    just my 2 cents: change background image it's a bit too diverting

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's too bad they discontinued the A&C movies on Sundays. I liked those! Need to see "Here Comes the Co-Eds" again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hated church too! The one I was dragged off to didn't use musical instruments which made the hymns seem that much worse. Ugh! It was clear that as long as I lived there I had to attend church so I left right after graduation from HS.

    I still don't understand why adults go willingly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm, so playing golf is immoral?

    My mother belonged to Our Lady of People Who Can't Carry a Tune (*such* an enticement to keep going back) and clearly I was a bad kid, I don't remember anything that was ever said during mass, just the horrid singing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am trying to teach my girls not to fear God, but to be positive contributors to society. I hope that they will grow up to be as self-confident, witty, and independently thoughtful as Jen.

    ReplyDelete