Monday, August 30, 2010

Handicapped Parking

Handicapped parking is a real pet peeve with me.  My father was a paraplegic, who walked with the aid of crutches and leg braces.  Once I saw him fall trying to get over a curb in a parking lot.  Just then, a young guy came out of the restaurant and got into his car and drove away.  Oh, by the way, he was parked in a handicapped spot.

Now everyone has seen one of those handicapped signs where it boasts about a $250 fine for violators.  But does anyone know someone who has received the fine.  Probably not.  I am sure the whole process of fining someone is more pain in the ass than it's worth.  But, I have a solution.  Hold on to your seat, this might shock you.

When I am King, I'll do away with the fine.  Instead I'm going to have a police officer just shoot out a tire. Now I know this sounds a little radical, but consider the effectiveness.  A person comes back and finds he has a flat tire.  Now he has to change the tire - if he has a spare. He might have to call a repair service to come and change it for him.  If he uses his spare, he will need to purchase a new tire.  Do you see where this is going?  You have instant punishment, loss of money and a shit load of aggravation.  And best of all, the police don't have to waste their time.  I'll have the police keep a data base of offenders.  Therefore, if it's a person's second offense the policeman will shoot out two tires.  I think you get the idea. After awhile, I am sure their will be plenty of handicapped spots for people who need them.  Too late for my dad, but maybe just in time for yours.

13 comments:

  1. One problem; if the cops shoot out the tire while the tool is still parked int he handicap spot, the spot is taken for even longer. Otherwise I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a pet peeve of mine, too. I finally just started taking photos of the offenders (with the license plates clearly visible) and posting them on my blog with appropriate commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janiece - way to be proactive. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Penn & Teller's Bullshit! did an episode on handicapped parking which I found rather informative.

    Personally I'm in favor of many of the provisions of the ADA, but they certainly had some relevant stuff to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't tell you how right you are... that same analogy should be applied also to people who "double-park" so their new BMW's dont get scratched.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Misuse of handicapped parking is annoying, but remember that the young person leaving the restaurant might have just helped a truly handicapped person into the restaurant and is now leaving (which would be a perfectly legal use of the handicapped spot). That most likely wasn't the case, but an apparently able person parked in a handicapped space doesn't always mean it's being used improperly.

    I've used handicapped spaces transporting my in-laws and my wife (with a valid handicapped placard) at various times and sometimes I'm walking to or from the car alone.

    I'll assume you're not being literal about shooting out tires, the legal and safety issues are too numerous to consider. I also don't think you want a legal system which allows the police to be "judge, jury, and executioner" by damaging property on the spot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shooting tires would definitely discourage parking an unauthorized vehicle in a handicapped space, and it might even make you feel better, but it fails to address miss use of handicapped tags or actual handicapped individuals using unauthorized vehicles. Having to fear a $250 fine or a flat tire would certainly be enough to cause me to park in the back of the lot when helping my wheelchair bound friend. Or maybe I just wouldn't help him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree shooting them out is not a good idea, an ice pick doesn't ricochet.

    I had a friend who was a traffic officer in his town on weekends, he was wheel chair bound all his life. The couple of times he had to testify in a contested handicapped parking case I would give him time off with pay from work.

    Janiece - good to see you here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. At least while they're changing the tyre there is plenty fo time for name and shame :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think towing them would work, but it would have to be done immediately. The problem is that no one is patrolling the handicapped spaces, police are hardly ever aware of them, and business owners don't want to anger any customers, so they'll usually just ask the person to move the car. Besides, if the goal is to open up the handicapped space, then asking them to move the car is the fastest and most effective approach. But I would love to see them towed. I once saw a corvette pull into a handicapped spot and though, man, what a jerk, parking in the handicapped spot. Then the driver somehow managed to plop a wheelchair from the passenger seat onto the ground next to the driver's door and dragged himself into it.... taught me not to judge too hastily.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't tell you how right you are... that same analogy should be applied also to people who "double-park" so their new BMW's dont get scratched.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a pet peeve of mine, too. I finally just started taking photos of the offenders (with the license plates clearly visible) and posting them on my blog with appropriate commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree shooting them out is not a good idea, an ice pick doesn't ricochet.

    I had a friend who was a traffic officer in his town on weekends, he was wheel chair bound all his life. The couple of times he had to testify in a contested handicapped parking case I would give him time off with pay from work.

    Janiece - good to see you here.

    ReplyDelete