Friday, April 22, 2011

Lady Lake & Religious Freedom

It has come to my attention that the Constitution is being threatened in Lady Lake, Florida.  For you who have never heard of Lady Lake, it is part of a retirement development known as The Villages.  The average inhabitant is about 70+ years old.  It's a great place if you love golf and living an active lifestyle.  However, it should be no surprise that it's prime tea-bag party area.  The local newspaper's favorite columnist is Ollie North, a convicted felon. It also should come as no surprise that the local city council starts every meeting  with a secular prayer.  The city council says its' prayer is not meant to favor any one religion, in spite of the fact that they usually end with, "in Jesus' name we pray".  They also claim they are doing nothing illegal,  since the meeting doesn't officially start until the prayer is completed.

Although I am not surprised by this development, since most of the residences are gun nuts, religious zealots, and war mongers, but I have found that there are also some sane people.  I play tennis with a group of guys who are surprisingly liberal.  Recently, they asked my opinion on Huckabee for President, and I issued a disclaimer that I was an atheist and I considered all right wing religious politicians as the vanguard for the American Taliban.  Instead of stoning me, they wanted to know more about my opinions.  I told them, When I am King, people will be able to express their religious beliefs freely in church and their home, but will have to keep their mouth zipped in public.  There will be no tax deductions for churches and  you will no longer be able to run for office claiming God told you to do it.  Everyone knows there is only one god -- The Golf God -- and he has plenty of bad golf swings in The Villages to keep him/her busy without taking on politics.

1 comment:

  1. Mr. McCreight, thank you for making me spit coffee reading your last sentence about the Golf God. It was worth cleaning my keyboard.

    ReplyDelete